Wednesday, 25 September 2013

First Year: Independent Study

           The Independent Study module provided a platform for a way of learning that most students would not have experienced before.  It was certainly something new for me.  There was a sense of freedom throughout both semesters as students were required to write a literature review.  This sense of personalisation was also evident whilst designing, creating and conducting a questionnaire that was then used practically.  The structure of the entire module allows students to craft their own research projects, providing the opportunity to explore their own particular areas of interest within the discipline.  It is this approach to learning that I find extremely beneficial as it provides students with the invaluable experience of working independently. 

There are several elements to the module that I enjoyed but one personal highlight for me was the questionnaire module.  I found that I enjoyed both the methodical and practical elements involved as well as being given the opportunity to engage members of the public, in order to develop an understanding of their views and attitudes towards certain linguistic conventions.   

No comments:

Post a Comment